Monday

WE Rise: 2009 review of Women's Lobby Day

by Amy
North Dakota Public Affairs Manager
Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota Action Fund 
Last week I had the honor of participating in North Dakota’s first ever Women’s Lobby Day at the Capitol in Bismarck titled WE Rise: Women Empowered. The focus of the entire day was about women’s political participation. The North Dakota legislative body is only 15.6% women giving us ranking of 43rd nationally.  Nearly 100 women traveled from every corner of the state- braving treacherous winter conditions- to learn about the legislative process, to tour the Capitol, and to meet with legislators.  The day was a remarkable success and one we hope to grow every Legislative session.
Highlight #1:

On the morning of Women’s Lobby Day the Senate Human Services Committee heard a bill which would protect mothers who breast-fed (SB 2344).  Several women who were participating in the Women’s Lobby Day sat in on the hearing and one even testified about her breast-feeding experiences.

Highlight #2

One of the most inspiring aspects of the day was the warm welcome participants received from the female legislators. Seven of the 22 women who serve in the North Dakota legislature were able to break away from committee hearings for a few minutes to address our group. They talked about the need for more women in elected office as well as the unique challenges (both professionally and personally) women face as legislators. And every single women legislator made a point to encourage the participants to think about running for office themselves.

Highlight #3
Throughout the day words of praise about the event from both participants and from legislators continued to flow.  The following is a testimonial we received from a women who attended the Women’s Lobby Day.
I attended the WE Rise event in Bismarck. As I sat listening to the welcome a flow of emotion overwhelmed me and I started to cry. I was crying because I could not believe a “woman like me” was actually there, at our state capitol along with some of the most respected women in our state.

You see, I am a survivor of domestic violence and if someone would have told me five years ago I would be here among these women I would have laughed. I have been out now for five years, but I was in it for 20. In those 20 years I was terrified of my abuser. Living in fear of your partner is a degrading feeling. I would hide in my closet when I heard the loud roar of his pickup coming in the driveway after a night of drinking. I would hide in that closet and pray the 23rd psalm over and over for strength to handle what was to happen when he walked through that door. Then I would sit outside the door of the bedroom listening to his snoring because when he was snoring I was able to breath. I would again pray the 23rd psalm to comfort me after the abuse.

I survived because of my faith in God and the will to give my children a better life. Slowly I got out and stayed out, but it is a long journey to where I am at today. It is a long journey to stability and it is a long journey to happiness. Just the day to day things that others may take for granted make me realize how happy I am now. Such as: sleeping in on Saturdays, buying something-anything, no matter how small- for myself, attending college, or simply reading a book are a few things I do now that I would never have done while with my abuser.

What WE Rise Lobby Day meant to me was “I truly am FREE! FREE to chose, FREE to live my life without abuse. FREE to be empowered and FREE to empower others.

When I graduate with my social work degree this May I will spend the rest of my life helping other survivors find their true beauty and worth. I will spend the rest of my life helping women to feel empowered just like I was at WE Rise Lobby Day. While I will never forget where I came from and my “closet of fear” I will also never forget where I am going.

Thank you so much for this opportunity and putting this event on. The magnitude of it was not lost on me. The women of the North Dakota Network have empowered me to realize we can make changes in our lives and in our laws.
 

No comments: